Pain is a ubiquitous and complex sensory and emotional experience that can seriously impact patient well-being, physically and psychologically.
- Adaptive, beneficial response necessary for preservation of tissue integrity
- Comes on quickly and remits with resolution of injury; usually diminished within 3 months
- Persistent pain that extends beyond the expected period of healing
- Associated with low levels of identified pathology that does not adequately explain the presence or extent of the pain
- Continuous or intermittent pain with or without acute exacerbations
- Disrupts sleeping patterns and activities of daily living resulting in diminishing functional capacity and degrading effects on health